Tomato circle

Tomato circle

Monday, January 30, 2012

Getting into a Jam

I have been canning and pickling about a year and a half now but I have been weary of getting in Jams and Jellies. Mostly because I had no idea what to do. Also there are sugar ratios and pectin ratios - plus fruit is kinda expensive.


At the farmers market a few months ago - I won a bag full of pectin from the canning demo. With a bag of pectin in my house, I suppose it was just a matter of time till I gave it a go!


Fresh Strawberries! 



I like to mix 2 kinds of berries - the raspberry cooks down and the small slices of strawberry make a nice texture so its more like preserves than jelly.


Fresh Raspberries!




Get your jars all lined up and ready to go. Make sure they are clean and sanitized and have lids ready!


Wonder Jars! 






In a big pot - add all the strawberries, raspberries, sugar, pectin and let cook for 30 min. Everything will cook down nicely! See individual recipes to get your ratios - it all depends on how much fruit you have.


Bubbling Sticky Goodness



Once everything is cooked down, while its still hot, pour into your jars and seal them up with lids - do it quick and they will self seal. Nothing like the sound of lids popping as the jam cools down.


Many jars of tasty preserves



Once the lids have sealed - put in the fridge to help the "gel" process. By the next day you have super tasty - not too much sugar - wonderful berry preserves!

0 comments:

Post a Comment