Tomato circle

Tomato circle

Saturday, April 14, 2012

But it has a cute face - Guineafowl

 Every once in awhile my dinner around here is served to me with a face. The eyes and mouth or beak still intact. Its something that I am getting used to but I am very grateful that Mike will hack off the head with a knife cause there is no way I can do that!! This lil hen had a pretty cute face.

Little face


I literally had to look up Guinea Hens on Wiki to see what the heck to do with this special bird.

Guineafowl have a long history of domestication, mainly involving the Helmeted Guineafowl; in the UK they were usually known as "gleanies". The young (called "keets") are very small at birth. The keets are kept in a brooder box inside the house until about six weeks of age, before being moved into a proper coop or enclosure. They eat lice, worms, ants, spiders, weedseeds, and ticks while on range, or they can also eat chicken layer crumbles (one kind of commercial bird feed) while housed in a coop. The cooked flesh of guineafowl resembles chicken in texture, with a flavour somewhere between chicken and turkey.

After searching many recipes - the best bet seemed to go with covering it in butter and many herbs and spices!

butter and seasonings

I roasted it in the oven at 400 degrees for 1 hour. He came out tasting just like a little chicken. Which was very tasty but I will probably skip buying a Guinea Hen in the future because my Chickens are larger and they never have a face. Thats a plus!

0 comments:

Post a Comment