Tomato circle

Tomato circle

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Root Soup - cheap and tasty!

I hope your not getting tired of posts that are about SUPER finds from our farmers market. Once again, my hope in posting things about what we get at the market is that is makes it more relateable and more possible for you to try in your life too!

In early spring - root vegetables that have grown under the ground all winter are prevalent at the market. Johnson's Backyard offers a large bag of mixed  ROOT veggies for $4. I thought I would grab a bag and see if I could make a tasty and affordable soup.

Bag of Roots

In my $4 grab bag, I got Carrots, Turnips, Kohlrabi, Beets and Onions. I washed them all and peeled them - chopping them into similar sized squares. After doing some recipe research most people suggested that I roasted the veggies first rather than boiling them. So, I mixed everything together in the roaster pan and tossed in some olive oil, garlic and salt & pepper.

Roasted Veggies     





I put the oven to 400 degrees and let them cook for 40 min. I like my roasted veggies with a good scorch on them so if you don't, cook them for 30 min instead. In a large pot, I added chicken broth and then the roasted root veggies. I let the pot simmer for 1 hour and added salt to taste.

Veggie Soup


I thought it came out very good - it turned really red due to the beets so the second time I made this soup, I left out the beets. I probably spent a total of $6 and it made a clean healthy soup for many days! I suggest you give it a try!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment