Tomato circle

Tomato circle

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Detox Protocol Days 1-7


We had our first full week of detox diet and I think we did really well. Mike had fasted for 48 hours before we began so everything he eats tastes amazing to him. I on the other hand did not fast and some things are better than others. But I don't think there was too much crying overall. Our choices for most meals were chicken, turkey, fruit, veggies, almond milk and almond butter. I didn't feel hungry necessarily but when there is no grain or bread, full just feels different. Maybe not as satisfying. I admit to dreaming of mac and cheese. Mike missed sugar. Not that surprising considering this whole diet is about regulating his sugars.

Some snaps of our basic meals for days 1-7.

Cooking restrictions: No Butter, No Grains, No Sugar, No Alcohol, No Soy, No Beef, No Pork, No Shellfish, No Dairy, No Tomatoes, Corn or Potatoes, No Bananas or Mangoes, No Eggs, No Pasta, No Peanuts, No Fried Food, No Dried Fruit

Breakfast

Breakfast: Baked chicken, turkey sausage, green peppers and onions 
and fruit - grapes, raspberry, strawberry & pineapple 


Mid morning snack

Mid morning snack: Fruit Smoothie - Berry blended with Almond Milk
with Pecans - I believe these are the Cajun Pecan from the farmers market 

Lunch 


Lunch : Baked Chicken Breast
Roasted with Olive Oil Butternut Squash 
Spinach Salad with Radish 

Afternoon snack 


Snack : Berry Smoothie - Berry mixed with Almond Milk
and Cashews 


And Dinner did not seem like a compromise at all - it was like a mini Thanksgiving Day meal plus we ate off of it for many days and many meals.

Dinner: Roasted Turkey with Olive Oil and Rosemary
with Roasted Carrots, Celery and Sweet Potato 

My husbands food bag was heavy those days! 







Both Mike and I got unexpectedly sick about mid week. It really kicked both our asses for a few days and we needed nourishment. I made a very simple chicken soup - onions, garlic, celery, carrots, chicken and broth and it was really really good. I also believe it gave us the boost we needed to take on a very busy weekend ahead of us. 

   
Chicken soup 






One night I made turkey tacos! We used ground turkey meat with seasoning. Grilled up some onions and bell peppers. Served in a lettuce cup with avocados! Very tasty! 


Turkey Tacos 



We can eat as many veggies and fruit as we want which is really whats getting us by. The sweetest thing I eat all week is Honey-crisp Apples. They are amazing! I wish they weren't so expensive but we are splurging for those! Which brings me to another revelation about this plan which is that living off fruit and veggies is really expensive. I swear Ive got to the grocery store to replace fresh produce every other day. You go thru it fast! 

Sushi is very supportive but wishes this was bacon 




Turkey breakfast at home - day 3


Mikes breakfast day 3 - turkey and pear 






Turkey and Apples breakfast 





Almond Butter and Celery - I like neither things


We have noticed some differences in the first 7 days. Mike has reported that his blood sugar had felt very stable and he has been testing it regularly. He did have a blood sugar episode one night when his fever broke from being sick. We still don't know why that happened but he will discuss with his doctor this week. His digestion has been really good & he has noticed a lack of puffiness.

I have felt pretty good all week - except when I was sick and then my energy levels were really low. 
I feel like my skin is looking clearer and I'm not really craving any sugar which really surprises me. 

We aren't doing this for weight loss specifically but Mike is down 6 lbs and I am down 4.5lbs in the past 7 days. We both can tell in our clothes already so I'm excited to see what happens in the next two weeks with that.

I must admit that the next phase - days 8-14 are going to be the hardest. We only get meat in the morning and after that lunch and dinner are things like beans, sweet potatoes and brown rice. I have already conceded that I will be stealing an extra piece of chicken here or there next week. And I don't feel bad about it. :)

Going to bed now - I will blog soon about how we did with food at the Fun Fun Fun Fest Music Festival - a 3 day music festival we went to in downtown Austin. 

Thanks for keeping up with us. More updates soon!


2 comments:

Diane said...

Hello Mike and Mindy,
Thanks so much for posting about your new eating regime. The diet is VERY restrictive but because of all the pictures you've posted, it looks like you've found creative ways to cook what you're "allowed." It's really good that you're doing this together -- makes cooking easier, gives support, and benefits 2 instead of one. Love the shot of Sushi and green beans!
Your friend, Diane E

Diane said...

Mindy and Mike, After looking at all the pictures of your meals, I'd like to order what you're having! Very attractively prepared and presented. Much more creative than I am. Good work to you both. I can see the change in both of you. Diane E.

Post a Comment